Thursday, May 6, 2010

Treatment today!




Well hello everyone....today is the day! My radioactive iodine (RAI) treatment day! Yipee! While I have some qualms about swallowing a pill that comes in a 50lb lead box surrounding it to minimize the handlers exposure to radiation (LOL), I am looking forward to hopefully being done with my treatment after this. My RAI is at 2pm today in Daytona Beach. After that I will be off to a friend's vacant house that is just 2 blocks off the beach. This is going to be a rough isolation period. Haha! I will be away until Monday morning. I also get to start on my starting dosage of Synthroid 24 hours after treatment. After 4 weeks they will be upping my dosage to see how I handle it. We are hoping this will start to take affect within 24 hours. I also get to go off my low iodine diet 24 hours after my treatment. Brian is bringing me a big slice of cheese pizza and some garlic knots from Tony's Pizza in Flagler Beach. Yummy! :) About 14 days after treatment I will go in for a full body scan to see how everything worked. This will show if any thyroid tissue had spread through my body during this whole process and if so it will also show if there is any remaining that needs to be retreated. We just aren't going with that thought at all though. :)

I will be off my computer until Monday morning so if you need me for anything you can call Brian at the house and he can relay a message to me or you are welcome to call my cell phone.

Thanks again for everyone's love, support, prayers, help, meals, babysitting, errand running, gift cards, flowers, cards, housecleaning, etc. I could go on and on! The outpouring of love we have been shown has been overwhelming in such a wonderful way. God is good all the time. No matter what our situation He is there to meet us and walk us through it if we allow Him to. This past week I was able to get MercyMe's new album on iTunes. It is called The Generous Mr. Lovewell. There are 2 songs specifically that I love (the whole cd is awesome) and are so helpful to me during this time. If you want I highly recommend you checking the album out and the songs called Move and also Beautiful. Great great songs that will speak to your heart in times of need or discouragement.

I also uploaded a photo of myself in a shirt my friend's had made for me in honor of my RAI treatment. I am so wearing this today to my appointment! I also put the card they made for me up as well. They are a great group of gals for sure!

There are a few things I would love prayer for if you don't mind praying.
1. Complete healing...that this radioactive iodine will be soaked up by any remaining thyroid tissue in my body and that it will kill it off.
2. For my medicine to start working immediately so I can begin feeling better.
3. For any anxiety or fear that may creep in while I'm alone.
4. For Brian and the boys to have a fabulous time while I have to be away from them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stacy,

    Happened upon your blog from a thyroid board.

    Just wanted to wish you speedy healing and super effective RAI!!! :)

    (I am home recovering from a TT)

    All the best...

    Dana

    ReplyDelete