Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Validation thankfully

Went and had my blood drawn this morning. The girl that did it is a thyroid cancer survivor of 10 years. I met her last time I was at the lab. I told her the situation with my doctor's office putting me off and she told me to come back in 2 hours and she would have my results ready for me. She is my new favorite person. :) I go back and pick up my results which were only partially ready but had the number I needed thankfully. My doctor wanted my TSH level above 30 to do the radioactive iodine without my injections. Guess what...it was 123.74! While it is not good for it to be that high it certainly felt good to get some validation that I am not crazy and there is a reason I feel so bad all of a sudden. Normal TSH levels are supposed to be between .34 & 5.60. Some doctors even want it under 2 for it to be considered normal. I don't even want to think about how bad it is going to be next week or until I can get on my thyroid medication. Just imagine if I had waited 4 weeks to do my iodine treatment! The other test that was ready was my Free T4 levels. It was at less than .25 and normal is between .61 & 1.12.

I called the doctor's office with my results and told them they could call to get the report faxed to them because me telling them was obviously not good enough. I could hear the nurse in the background as the receptionist to repeat the number. Then I heard her say "it's how high!?" Yea lady...this is why you listen to your patients when they call and say they are feeling horrible. However, all that being said I never did get a phone call from my doctor today. The levels are really way high and way low when you look at the T4 and can cause some potentially dangerous complications for me but I have a feeling my doctor didn't even see the results. The receptionist was not to friendly when I called back at 4:30 today to check on the progress and she said the doctor hadn't signed off on them yet so they couldn't tell me anything. Whatever. They will be hearing from me in the morning for sure. Now don't freak out about the complications because I know what to look for and will immediately call for help if I need it. :)

I'm feeling okay today. Better than yesterday by far thankfully. My energy was horrible this morning but came back some this afternoon and evening. I only had one bout of pain today and that was short lived an in my shoulder instead of hip today. I've had some dizzy spells but not as many. My lack of focus had one bad time but came back fairly quickly thankfully. As I'm typing this I can feel the energy leaving my body though so I have a feeling an early bedtime for me will be in order. I had some friends over this evening to help clean which was wonderful. They did a great job and the kids all got to play together and have a fun evening. I started my low iodine diet today. After a rough morning with it (I didn't have anything in the house I could eat) I was able to go to the store and get some things I needed. I even made homemade peanut butter today. It is delicious! I may never buy jarred peanut butter again! :)

Oh get this...after having my blood drawn and going through all the runaround with my doctor's office about the injections which I don't even need now, CVS calls and tells me they need me to authorize delivery of the injections to my doctor's office for tomorrow or the next day. I just started laughing when I talked to the woman. She also informed me that it will be 100% covered by my insurance as we have met our deductible and out of pocket expense maximum for the year. What in the world was the hold up then...I'm guessing it had to do with my doctor's office. Whatever...at least it is all straightened out now.

Okay...I am seriously out of energy all of a sudden so I am going to have to stop this post for now. All in all I am happy that my levels show that I am indeed not crazy and this stuff is not in my head and we are not blowing things out of proportion. Now if I can just get my doctor to call me back so we can get my radioactive iodine scheduled all would be well.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy! I came across your blog recently.. I'm also thyca survivor. Was diagnosed in 2009 ( I was 33 then) and still going trough the motions - never got the clean bill. Anyway, reading trough your blog made me so proud of you. Your courage, your faith are remarkable. I also feel very angry at your endo doctor and his office. I didn't finish reading yet (still reading the 2010) but I hope you fired him. There are so many things he did wrong, but his disrespect and careless attitude are disturbing to me.
    Please stay strong, take care of yourself and God bless your family and friends that supported you during this roller coaster time!.

    ReplyDelete