Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Symptoms ramping up...time to put the pressure on the doc

This morning I woke to no energy at all to start my day off. I've had intervals (very short) throughout the day of some energy but for the most part the entire day was a no energy day. By mid morning I started experiencing hip joint pain and weakness along with dizzy spells. Not good. I cannot care for the kids all day in this condition when Brian has to go on a trip. At one point I just laid in bed and cried (yes, I had a pity party) because I couldn't force myself out of bed. So instead of waiting for the doctor's office to call us, which probably would have taken until 2-3 weeks from now, Brian called them. Have I ever said how much I love my man?! He is my knight in shining armor.

This process was supposed to take 3-4 weeks total but was now looking like it would be a 6-8 week journey instead. Brian called this morning and still hadn't gotten a call back by this afternoon other than the office manager giving him the runaround this morning. He called again and got a hold of one of the nurses. He told her my symptoms and she said if I was in that rough of shape I needed to be seen. Duh...they can't do anything for me unless they start my treatment! He finally got my doctor on the phone. He explained that this Friday will be 3 weeks since surgery and we were told everything would be done within 4 weeks. The hold up apparently is that they are waiting on insurance approval to get my Thyrogen injections ordered. They haven't even placed the order yet! So now the plan has changed due to my symptoms. I go for blood work tomorrow morning. If my TSH levels are above 30 we will skip the Thyrogen injections altogether. I start my low iodine diet tomorrow. Now banking on my levels being above 30 (with my symptoms and the fact that 4 days after surgery they were 13-14 seems to be the case) we will either get my radioactive iodine by the end of next week or at the beginning of the following week. If my levels aren't at 30 or higher then I have to wait longer.

I'm thinking that even though my symptoms are worse that I will delay it until after May 6th and hopefully until May 10th. May 6th is a Mother's Day program at Eric's school that I refuse to miss and May 9th is Mother's Day. It would stink to not be with my boys then because I could be radioactive. So May 10th is a better day for me even though it means I have to endure the side effects a little longer. If you all could be praying for this that would be wonderful!

Other than all that junk, today was a fun day. My Uncle Winky & Aunt Martha came up to visit us today and took us out to lunch. Thankfully I had one of the short bouts of energy during their visit and was able to have a great time. The boys loved seeing them and didn't want them to leave. :) I can't wait to get all this treatment stuff behind me so I can get on some medication to feel better and go see my family. We miss all of you guys down in Avon Park! Right now with my energy levels so low I just can't drive or make long trips even with Brian with me. Hopefully that will be over soon though.

I was thinking today that I'm not going to know what to do when I get on medication. I'll actually have energy. I haven't had normal levels of energy in about 3 years now, possibly longer. We think that is how long I've had the thyroid cancer....3-4 years! It is a miracle that Tyler is even here when I really sit down and think about it. I discovered the lump while pregnant with him. Miscarriages are a symptom of hypothyroidism. Who knows...I could have had it longer based on my miscarriage (Jan 2005) before having Eric (Jan 2006) and then having so many issues in the first trimester with Eric. The cancer acts like normal thyroid in blood tests so my levels all appeared normal for so long when they really weren't. So anyway, with medication who knows what I will be able to accomplish....more energy, better moods, fit into my skinny pants! :)

So even if it was a bad day in regards to my symptoms I'm glad I was able to visit with family and finally see some progress from the doctor's office. We will seriously be considering switching doctors once this is past us. He is a great doctor but unless he is going to get staff that cares or tries to act like they care I can't stay there. This is another huge prayer request we have.

Thanks everyone for all the love and support! And as I told a friend today...if it ever appears I'm whining or complaining feel free to tell me to shut my mouth! I don't mind telling people what I'm going through but I refuse to be a negative Nellie about it all because God is good all the time no matter what our circumstances. I will find my joy in Him who loves me and supplies all my needs and is ever faithful and beside me at all times. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment